What is Ovarian Cysts?
Women have two ovaries that produce eggs, as well as the hormones estrogen and progesterone. Sometimes, a fluid-filled sac called a cyst will develop on one of the ovaries. Many women will develop at least one cyst during their lifetime. In most cases, cysts are painless and cause no symptoms. The types of ovarian cysts are as follows-
- Corpus Luteum
What are the symptoms of ovarian cysts ?
- Abdominal bloating or swelling
- Painful bowel movements
- Pelvic pain before or during the menstrual cycle
- Painful intercourse
- Pain in the lower back or thighs
- Breast tenderness
- Nausea and vomiting
Severe symptoms of an ovarian cyst that require immediate medical attention include:
- Severe or sharp pelvic pain
- Faintness or Dizziness
- Rapid Breathing
How is ovarian cysts treated?
Following measures can be taken for the treatment of Ovarian Cysts-
- Birth Control Pills- Oral contraceptives can be prescribed to stop ovulation and prevent the development of new cysts
- Laparoscopy- A tiny incision is made near your navel and then a small instrument is inserted in order to remove the cyst.
- Laparotomy- In case of a large cyst, a large incision can be made and a biopsy may be conducted just after that. If the cyst is cancerous the uterus and ovaries might be removed through a hysterectomy.