For most women, periods can be a tiring phase of the month. Further, if they suffer from heavy bleeding during periods, then the ordeal is not just painful, it becomes stressful as well. In medical terms, heavy periods are called ‘Menorrhagia’, wherein a woman experiences prolonged or abnormally heavy menstrual bleeding, sometimes, with clots as well.
The common symptoms of Menorrhagia include needing to change your tampon/sanitary pad every 2 hours, feeling extreme tiredness, and formation of clots in the menstrual blood. During periods, if you experience too many cramps or a lot of blood loss that disrupts your daily routine, then you should consult a private gynaecologist and seek their advice.
The great news is that Menorrhagia can be successfully treated if the actual cause of heavy bleeding is determined. Today, let us discuss the various natural remedies and methods of treatment for heavy painful periods.
- Eat foods rich in magnesium: Heavy bleeding usually happens due to hormonal imbalance. Magnesium helps balance your hormone levels, which prevents massive bleeding during menstruation. Foods such as seeds and nuts, green vegetables, leafy vegetables, fruits (avocados, banana), legumes, and seafood (tuna, salmon), etc. are rich in magnesium, and you should include them in your daily diet to solve this problem naturally.
- Drink ample fluids: The simplest natural remedy for heavy bleeding during menstruation is to drink plenty of fluids and keep yourself hydrated. This helps maintain the blood volume in your body during such tiring times, especially when the bleeding continues for days.
- Eat iron-rich foods: Iron is an essential nutrient for your body, and an iron deficiency can worsen your bleeding during periods. Thus, you must add iron to your daily diet to tackle the problem of heavy bleeding naturally. Even otherwise, iron is extremely beneficial for your body and prevents anaemia. Foods such as beans, lentils, spinach, oysters and tofu are rich in iron. So, do make sure to include them in your diet.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin C: Vitamin C is vital for your physical wellbeing. One of its many benefits is absorbing excessive iron from the body. Further, it also improves your immune system. In essence, vitamin C keeps your body strong and healthy, which, in turn, regulates your cycles and prevents loss of excess blood during periods. Foods such as oranges, tomatoes, green and red peppers, kiwis, and brussels sprouts are a rich source of vitamin C and should be a part of your diet.
After trying these natural remedies, if you’re still experiencing heavy menstrual bleeding, then you may need to look at medical treatments. Some options of treatment for heavy painful periods include:
- Hormonal Intrauterine Device (IUD): Hormonal IUD can be used as an effective period pain treatment method for heavy, painful periods. Mirena coil is an effective hormonal IUD, which can be used to treat heavy periods. This IUD helps to decrease the cramping and lightens the amount of bleeding during menstruation.
- Contraceptive pills: Contraceptive pills or birth control pills are commonly used for Menorrhagia treatment. These pills help regulate the menstruation cycle by balancing the hormone secretion, which results in less blood flow.
- Oral medication: Oral medicines, such as Mefenamic acid or Examic acid, are often prescribed by doctors to prevent the excessive loss of blood. These pills are also helpful in treating mild or moderate cramps or period pain treatment.
- Removal of fibroids/Uterine Polyps: This method can be used if medication proves ineffective at controlling the bleeding, or if the problem is more complex and needs a surgical procedure as a remedy. Some specialists advise the removal of fibroids/uterine polyps surgically to stop excessive bleeding during heavy painful periods.
These natural remedies and treatments have proven effective in solving the problem of heavy periods in women. You can certainly try the natural methods at home for better results. However, for medical treatment, you must consult a specialist to seek advice on the best option for heavy menstruation.
If you are searching for an expert private gynaecologist to treat your problem of heavy painful periods or other menstrual issues, visit us now.